View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sprman24

Does Al Anon help even after ...

Hey @ll,

Maybe the one or the other remembers me, I was writing here a few things around last March.
Things changed...I read a few of my threads today, and had to kinda shuggle about myself.
Long story short: I have been with an AH since over 2 years. Like probably everybody, I kinda went to hell with him and back.
After his jail time in the Army and his release, because of his drinking, he mad twice the attempt to qiut drinking, by going to detox. First time was going to detox, getting relased and right back to the bar. The last detox is just a month ago. He went after detox to AA for around 3 weeks, then he started drinking again. I have to say after his release out of the Army and before his last detox, i kicked him out, and had just once in a while contact with him on the phone, or a short coffee. We broke up, because I told him, I will not support his drinking in anyway.
So i actually had the feeling he was hitting rock bottom, since he just lived with a friend, with a few hour work and not the comfort of me being there for him.
When he came to the hospital, where i work for, and asked me for help to get into detox, ....well I did. He aranged evereything on his own, but here in New Brunswick u are not just be able to walk into a detox center, u get an appointment and have to wait almost a week till they get u in. So i took him to my place, to be not around all his Alcoholic friends. He went to bad withdrawls, but he made it to detox. He was there 7 days and they told him, he just go to AA, till a rehabplace would be avalible for him.
I didn't help at all. He is since 3 days no back at it and i kicked him out again.
I told I am not doing it again, we are done.

MY BIG QUESTION: A new start for me. I wish him the best and hope he makes it someday, but I think I don't help him in anyway and I have to focus on me for once. Can I still go to an Al Anon Meeting even after I am not envolved with an Alcoholic anymore. Does it help me in anyway? I have to say I have never been to one before. I am to scared, to go into groups all alone, as a stranger. Thats me tho. Would be with anything else the same?

I hate, that my post are always so long. I can't write shorter for some reason.