View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Pigtails

Sometimes I get really mad at liquor companies and their advertisements because they capitalize on human weaknesses. I feel like they know that people can be addicted to alcohol and so they exploit that and glamorize their products that actually make people like us sick/help us stay sick. But then I realize many people drink alcohol recreationally and are not addicted to it (I am not sure if those people are the ones who care so much about the ads, or who are drawn to the product due to the ads). And anyway that's just how adveristing is, and the more people drink, the more money they make, so there is obviously a market and they are just selling to it. I try not to let it concern me anymore but when I do get triggered I remind myself that it like poison to me... if someone was selling a bit bucket of rat poisoning or something else that made me hurt myself and others, would I be salivating for it? No. It is my brain's way of trying to have what it wants but what it wants is bad for it, so, too bad, it's not getting any. I don't know if any of this helps but it's how I look at it.

I'm glad you're going to an AA meeting, I think that will help. Holidays are very stressful. Please know that you're not alone and these feelings are normal. Could you try taking a walk or doing yoga or some other form of exercise to get you concentrating on your body instead of your mind? Or how about watching some holiday Christmas movies or something else where you know there won't be liquor advertisements? (I know, it's pervasive and you are liking to see a scene of old guys sitting around the fire drinking Old Fashioneds or Hot Toddys... but, hopefully it won't be as triggering as the liquor commercials).

Best wishes. Keep posting and staying strong, you can get through this.