View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 04:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
GingerM

I quit drinking between 1987 - 1990. In late 1990, I ended up in a social circle that were very much into the party scene. I figured I could "moderate" my drinking. In 1992 I went cold turkey again, but figured I could have one "on special occasions". In 1997, I went on my last bender. Admittedly, I could got for many months without drinking, but when I did drink, it was always to the point of drunkenness. I couldn't control it.

The realization that I couldn't control it scared me into stopping entirely. Both of my parents are alcoholics. I knew full well where that path led, and I didn't want to go down it.

I have never known anyone who managed to "moderate" their drinking once they'd fallen into the pit of alcoholism. It was difficult for me to believe that I didn't control the alcohol, the alcohol controlled me. But eventually I saw it. Then again, I am not a "normal" person in the statistical sense. If I was, I should be in jail or a prostitute or homeless or dead by now.

I wanted to give you the perspective from someone else who initially thought moderation was possible. Maybe there are people who can do it, but none that I know. They all backslide to right where they started again.