View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 09:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
lillamy

You know... I've spent a lot of time trying to understand and analyze my AXH and whatever disorders he may or may not suffer from in addition to the alcoholism.

I tried getting him to get evaluated for the different disorders and mental illnesses I amateur-diagnosed in him. He was furious and accused me of not accepting him the way he was, etc. When I finally left and he was facing criminal charges, he agreed. He got some diagnosis. He said he wouldn't get any treatment because I was forcing him to pay too much child support.

The bottom line for me is this: It doesn't matter. If you're still with your alcoholic, and your alcoholic is willing to pursue not only recovery but also treatment for underlying mental health problems -- find the best professional you can find and run with it.

For me? The only thing that matters is that my life became unmanageable because of the alcohol that ran his life. Other than that, I'll quote LaTeeDa again: "Unacceptable behavior is unacceptable." Whether you can find a mental health professional who's willing to slap a label on it and call it some fancy name or not doesn't matter. I refuse it in my life.