View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
I've never really been comfortable with the disease model anyway, so that makes sense. Thanks. I try not to be too negative but a few times I've caught myself saying "Back when I was being an idiot..."

Sometimes that makes people uncomfortable. But then... drug addiction isn't comfortable. *Shrug*
Hey! ha ha, I use that "idiot" line too. I think it sums up very nicely where my head was at those times.

On what and how much to reveal...I think that if your particular drug use put you into a risk category for any illness that can be sexually transmitted, go get a thorough blood check. If you are clean, then I don't think you owe anyone an explanation of your past history. At some point in the relationship some of it might naturally come up, but I'm not big on early relationship "confessions".

If you do have a health issue that could be passed on to a partner, then you have to be upfront with them, and the subject of drug use might arise.

If the issue is behind you, it's behind you. I don't think you need to spend the rest of your life defining yourself by an addiction you have left behind.