View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 06:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
freethinking
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

I am just reading this now so sorry for the late response - but for me, this was a HUGE reason why I continued to drink. Once I sobered up, I always had this awful feeling of panic and dread at the things i had said or done while drinking that I was ashamed of (or worse yet, could not entirely remember). The panic was almost unbearable.

I can promise you this: one good thing about overcoming a drinking problem is that you have a better ability to put things in perspective. I did and said some horribly embarrassing things when I drank. When I look back, they don't bother me like they would a "normal" person. I realize how lucky I am for the things I still do have in my life that others in my situation have lost (my home, my husband, my kids, my good friends).

So, if you feel like pouring alcohol all over those feelings of shame, embarrassment and even panic at the thought of your recent drunken self: realize that in the near future those things won't really matter much, if at all. Have some blind faith about it. Day by day, it does get easier.