View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

(((Patk))) - I really don't have much personal experience with valium. I was given it, a few times, in really stressful times (my mom's death, then later the death of my 18-year-old stepsister) and it had no effect on me. Granted, I was drinking a lot and abusing other stuff, so that probably didn't help.

I've also been on anti-d's, not currently, but some worked better than others. My concern is that you're taking it at times when you're not anxious, but because it makes you feel better. Benzos are extremely addictive, and most people build up a tolerance to them, taking more and more to get the same effect.

Can you talk to the dr. who is prescribing the Lamictal about this? I truly don't believe that anyone should suffer, needlessly, from depression and/or anxiety, but I'm a recovering addict, and I've seen way too many people get addicted to benzos, then have a really hard time getting off of them.

I have taken xanax in recovery for PTSD issues. My doctor is very well aware of my addiction recovery, and I don't get refills..have to go see her for a re-assessment every month. Maybe it's because of my recovery, but I don't take them unless it's absolutely necessary, and a one-month prescription will often last me 6 weeks or more. I've recently not taken any, as I would rather not take anything that's addictive. I guess it's because I'm aware of what could happen, that I just don't want to take that risk.

I hope you can work with your doctor to find something that helps you. As far as you being a teacher, I don't really know but I know with most jobs, if you were to get hurt at work or be involved in an accident, a drug screen could be done. It's just something I think about, as my PTSD is a result of getting robbed and pistol-whipped at work, and for once, I knew that if they did a drug screen while I was at the hospital, I didn't worry that anything would show up on it.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy