View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

(((kitten))) 'cuz we LOVE our kitties? Don't beat yourself up for the past. My dad, who is pretty darned firm when it comes to MY addiction, is very much a codie when it comes to that of my stepmom and niece. Sometimes we just don't know better. Addiction seems to make everything we think is loving and caring seem wrong.

It's not like we get a book, "how to deal with an addict", though there are some like that written. We make mistakes, but we learn. It was the same way when I was using...okay, that didn't work, let's try this...until the consequences overwhelmed me.

Most of us have never dealt with addiction until it's in our face, and it's someone we love dearly. Hell, I've made mistakes with my niece, and I'm an RA!! I just keep reading here, telling myself "okay, THAT didn't work, let's try something else". Slowly, but surely, I am moving to a place where I can let her make her mistakes, and realize it has nothing to do with me. I try to set a good example, but she may not see it. We do better when we know better.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy