Old 12-13-2011, 05:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ClimbingBack

Hey sorry for jumping in here a little late, but just wanted to throw my thought in.

I have some hangups with AA/NA, but the one thing I do like is the step work. I was pretty shocked to realize that after 6 months of being clean, my life hadn't improved significantly...or much at all for that matter. I'm still a cynical, impatient *******. Although I'm only 'on step 2', I'm looking forward to some of the action based steps such as writing out the character defects and working on improving them, as well as making amends.

That being said, I know plenty of people who go to AA/NA strictly for the therapeutic benefit of talking to and being with a group of people who all share the same affliction. Two weeks ago I was at the hospital with a 102 degree fever when they gave me a shot of Demerol. I hadn't IVed opiates in over 3.5 years, but within minutes I was scheming for another shot. I didn't go out and use after this incident, but it was festering in my head for a few days. I shared this at a meeting, and it was as if that obsessive thought process in my head was lifted. I haven't thought about the incident since.

I'm not qualified to give advice, but I think it's important to find what works best, try numerous programs/approaches, and take a little from each. Don't feel pressured into just doing 'one thing'. I personally don't thing there is a one-size-fits all approach to addiction.

Good luck!