View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 01:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sesh

It is possible that this is the end for him, but from my experience it is not really likely.

No one can know what is inside of his head, and what it is going to take for him to make changes in his life. I do know few people who at one point decided they're done with drinking and just quit with no help of any program. But that is extremely rare. No one can know if your husband is one of them or not.

The more important point is it doesn't depend on you. Nothing you do or say will make him drink or not again. That's why it is important you take care of yourself.

My husband is in recovery for some 8 months now. This time his recovery feels more true than ever before. We're living a nice life and as family we are happy. I've left the past in the past, I don't think about it as it would be only hurting me. I gave our marriage a clean start, I'm acting from the position as the past has never happen, but in the same time I'm perfectly aware his sobriety might not last. I know what I would do if he drinks again, I'm prepared for it, but I don't let that thought spoil my today.
I guess the best way to put it would be to say: I'm living like we have a guarantee for the best possible happy ever after, and in the same time I'm more than prepared for the worst case scenario.
It took me a great strength to do that, but more than everything it took a lot of work on myself.

My point is it is OK to hope for the best and give it a chance as long as you're being realistic and as long as you don't base your personal happiness on someone else's actions.

I wish you both the best.
Also I higly recomend sticking around this forum and educating yourself about the disease of alcoholsim as much as you can. There is some great wisdom here.

Welcome!