View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 12:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Windblown

I'm a Bipolar recovering alcoholic and co-dependent. It starts with honesty and acceptance for me. I have had issues with both for years and they seem to inter-mingle and torment and tease each other. What makes me really irritated is neither the NA book or the Big Book goes into the scope of Bipolar and alcohol. I have to be honest with my Dr. about the meds and whether they are working and if I am actually taking them. Many of us Bipolars go off meds because the side effects are so awful. It takes at least two years for most of us to come up with the meds that will work and the right dosage. Then for me they stop working after 6 months and I have to go through the withdrawal and start up of new meds. Alcohol crushes BP meds...they won't work. What has worked best for me is complete abstinence from alcohol...going to meetings...going to a therapist...going to a pdoc...living as simple a life as free of stress as possible...prayer and meditation...and exercize. O.K. I don't exercize and I smoke cigarrettes...but hey I want to and soon I think I will.

Acceptance for bipolar has been a big one for me too. I have been dxed with it by several different drs. and still question whether it is real. Other people can see it easier than I can. Sometimes I ask my husband what I should tell the Dr. because he can see it easier than I can. He doesn't push me though or control me...just gently notices I may be a bit depressed.

Many alcoholics are treated for depression when it is really the alcohol acting as a central nervous system depressant on their brain. Alcohol always depresses me. That's another reason I have to stay away from it.

I wish there was more info. on dual diagnosis...I think there are even dual diag. meetings like 12 step groups. Oh yeah...I went to one a couple years back and it was weird. Or was I too weird to relate? Hmmm...may look back into that. Interesting post. Thank you.