View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Pete55

Yep, it sure is a money spinner.

I grew up in a neighborhood that made their own wine back in the 60's.
It was cultural, made their own tomato paste and their own bacon and their own pasta, garden and vegetables.

The food was, just it! Basil, Garlic and it eventually became a VERY large family ( neighborhood size ) Pizza.
Believe me, the Pizza is in the sauce of that era, not the mass produced chemical sauce it is today. No need to add pineapple to offset today's yukky underlying taste.
I remember many Pizza bars had it's own unique home made sauce and bacon.

With the wine making I saw the whole lot being made and put in those old wooden barrels and joined in helping cos they had a home made machine using an old washing machine motor that crushed the grapes and we drank straight out of the part where the juice came out from.
To me it was just like orange juice, except this was grape.

I got drunk, but it was laughed at cos I was kid at the time and this thing they did was a rare and private event. Not private as in cloak and dagger private, but each their own, it was their way of family back then, private.

All this was to lead up either Xmas or Easter or some other cultural celebration, sometimes I was there, other times I was doing my thing.
It was not about the wine being the main focus, but lots was consumed, the women mixed it with lemonade.
I never saw anyone get drunk to blackout, it was all merry and happy, food was the main, if not THE main focus and the wine complemented the food.

Not today, the propaganda is the exact opposite of what I remember.
It's all a memory and the art of making these home made supremos has faded away.
Nothing tastes the same anymore, not even meat.
I'm off meat, grog, junk food and canned liquid sugar.

$$commercial propaganda$$ seems to have destroyed the cultural standards of that era