View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Meggy

Could this be it?

My husband is in semi denial that he is an alcoholic. We have been around and around the subject. We fight (or he breaks down), he swears he will stop drinking. He stops usually for 2 days. Then he has a bad day so he just has a few beers, just buys a six pack. Then a few days later he buys a slab (4x6 packs) because it's cheaper. Then we are back to 2 or 3 slabs a week. And I am the nag because I object to a hard working man enjoying a beer at the end of the night.

But this time, after the stopping, followed by the 6 pack, I confronted him. I cried, said I am worried about the example to the kids who think that you need a beer at the end of every day, and that you drink them like water. The realisation that he is affecting the kids seems to really shake him, and I followed it by getting them all in the car and taking them out for the evening. I expected to come back home and find him drunk but no. He still had one of the 6 pack left in the fridge and he hasn't drunk it. This is day 4. He has never gone this long before. Am I kidding myself, could this be it? The rock bottom when he realises the cost of his alcoholism in more than monetary terms? Or is this a blip, is rock bottom when he loses his job, or gets a DUI, or we lose the house?

I hate that I don't know what I am doing in this. This is not the life I expected. I know it's a bit petulant of me but I want a husband I can depend on, not one I am constantly watching and worrying about.