Old 12-12-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Riel

Originally Posted by Tippingpoint View Post
I am simply thinking that there are ways in which we can create a better situation for ourselves and that is a worthwhile exercise to work towards a state of harmony with the world where we seldom find ourselves at odds with the primitive brain.
I've been thinking about just this point.

I blamed the stress of my job for my drinking. First thing on most weekday mornings I would pick up a couple of mickeys (two because it's too dangerous to go out later in the evening if I still need a drink as the police stake out liquor outlets) and drive around drinking straight vodka until I had summoned the resolve to go into work. I didn't drink on the weekends.

I thought that if I could just chuck my job my alcohol problem would be solved.

It's true that my job provides my beast plenty of ammunition. But now that I've been sober for a little while, and have reflected on the matter, I'm persuaded that even in the absence of my job I'd still have to deal with my beast.

The only certain path to my continued sobriety is to remember that I have decided that I do not drink, and that I will never change my mind concerning this, regardless of my circumstances.