Thread: Hey, gang!
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

Congrats Lexie! Same boat here but don't need to work. However I do need to get off my dead Axe and do something as I approach 60 next year! I agree though that it is nice to live/work on our own terms. I left my last position as Exec VP when the owner started pressuring me to take over for him as CEO/Pres. I told him two years ago he needed a younger one. I had already retired and have a pension so building that company up was my after retirement fun job. We parted friends but his last words to me were that what was happening was the problem with hiring people that don't have to work! What he didn't realize he was saying was he didn't like not being able to pressure folks to do what they didn't want to or take on more for less!
I didn't give notice I just told him I would have my desk cleared out and be gone in the morning.

I didn't appreciate an attempt to intimidate regardless of how flattering.

Just be aware that there will be folks, friends, co-workers, and most especially bosses and CEO/owners that will be a bit jealous and don't realize how much they depend on intimidation instead of leadership to get by.

Being where you are isn't just about being able to pick and choose where you work, but being able to pick and choose where you don't any more.

Once again welcome to the ranks of the re-tired!