Old 12-10-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by NewWay View Post
...if I had booked a trip to Cabo before I stopped drinking 10 days ago, but have now decided to go since I have emphatically stated to never drink again, it would put me in a place that I associate with non-stop drinking. I would be at war with the the beast the entire time, instead of staying home and just fighting minor battles with the beast periodically.
I'm not going to advise you on vacations, but the key to AVRT is the separation of your true self from the Beast. If you have made a decision to never drink again and never change your mind, then you no longer drink. Furthermore, since the desire for alcohol is not you, but the Beast, you don't even want to drink. In the example you gave, your Beast would be put in a place that IT associates with non-stop drinking. It might take a bit of practice to grasp this separation and put it into practice, which is what the exercises in the book are for, but once you do, there are no more battles.