Old 12-07-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 480 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Plugging Beast Holes

In reading posts from "newbies" about their initial plans to beat their addiction, many times it is apparent that they are conflicted, and that their Beast is trying to leave the door open to the possibility of future drinking/using. I found the following "examples of subtle and not-so-subtle 'holes' in an effective plan to defeat substance addiction" in the JRR which sums up the common stall tactics used fairly well. If you want to do things right, be sure to plug those holes first.

The central principle of AVRT is that the Beast, with its amorphous AV, can drive a beer truck through a pinhole. A Big Plan is recovery with an attitude. It is a tough action on a tough problem. For most people attempting self-recovery, the Big Plan of Rational Recovery appears too stringent, too cut-and-dried, too simple, too total, too unfair. But AVRT self-aims upon those complaints, identifying them and their emotional counterparts as the Beast itself.

Beast Holes
  1. I will quit for (any length of time).
  2. I will quit drinking/using one substance but continue drinking/using another substance.
  3. I will drink/use less.
  4. I will drink/use only at certain times, places.
Excerpted from "AVRTips: Bonsai People and The Ice Man Scam"
The Journal of Rational Recovery,Nov. - Dec., 1997, Vol. 10, Iss. 2
Copyright © Jack Trimpey and Lois Trimpey