View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
recycle
Ethanol Intolerant

gneiss, I am happy to hear you are happy.

For me, the terms 'in recovery' or 'alcoholic' apply as long as those terms facilitate what I want to believe and how I want to behave. The terms have no intrinsic truth beyond that, and I don't feel like I need others to exactly agree my definitions. When those terms are no longer expedient to realizing my intention, I will stop using them to describe myself. Right now, I am both, those words have work to do.

The only thing that keeps the above from sliding into hopeless relativism is honesty. I have to be honest with myself about the meanings, where my actions are likely to take me, and how all these "truths" fit together as a whole. I also have to be honest with the people in my life. My past is not an open book, nor do I lie about it. In the present, I make every effort not to deceive or conceal as my life quickly boils over when I do.

I think your are right sooner or later it will come up, and I think it is really good stuff to think about from time to time. And I have zero advice for you, other than it is important be nice to gneiss. Best wishes.