Old 12-05-2011, 02:54 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  
avrtisian

Smile beast

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Welcome.

Please don't take this as a prediction of doom or as advice not to use this if it works for you, but this approach, variously called "playing the tape through," "seeing it through," or "thinking through the drink," when viewed through AVRT, brings up some questions.

• The Beast doesn’t care in the least about your suffering, or where you might end up if you drink or use again. At best, all it can imagine is the pleasure derived from drinking/using, and at worst, it views drinking/using as necessary to survival itself. As such, scary scenarios won't have any effect on its agenda at all, and it will still want to indulge regardless.

• There is a good possibility that over time, you will start to forget the bad stuff and why you quit in the first place. Seeing it through is essentially entering into negotiations with the Beast, which will necessarily downplay the bad stuff you imagine and instead come up with its own scenarios of blissful, intoxicated pleasure.

• Seeing it through brings into question the finality of the Big Plan. If you have made a Big Plan, you have decided not only never to drink or use again, but also to never to consider the possibility of doing so again. If you really aren’t going to drink/use again, and will never change your mind, why see it through? Why focus on "what if" when never would be more in line with the Big Plan?
Hi TU, or should i call you jack?, you sound so much like jack trimpey,haha,i don't think i explained myself properly,i don't just rely on avrt, i don't agree with a lot of what trimpey has to say,i've made up a mishmash of ways that keep me sober,it was pointed out to me by another person that i had been using avrt without knowing it, i read the book later, all i'm really doing is what the majority of people do that stop drinking or drugging (just stop), i don't ever want to rely on anything to keep me sober, including avrt, as for playing the tape?, i use this in all areas of my life, this has worked for me for nearly 4 years so i don't plan to change it, i have no fears of ever drinking again, i'm very happy with my life sober.

Good luck to you.