Old 12-04-2011, 10:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Deserto

Hi PositiveChange, welcome to SR!

I can relate to everything you're saying. I quit on October 9th, and though I've had a few drinks since then/a few minor relapses, I do think that things can and do get better.

One thing I noticed recently is that my concept of what is fun started to change with sobriety. For a while I mourned not fitting in; then I started to wonder why I wanted to fit in when people were "being all repetitive, obnoxious, dumb, finding things funny for no reason, being fools..." It sounds like you're at that point of transition, too.

Which isn't to say we have to stay home and be joyless. Far from it! Last night, for example, I went to dinner with a group of friends and then went out dancing. Had a good time but there was a point where I turned around and they were all loaded and falling in on each other and the bar was soon closing and the after party plans were being discussed. Ever lit a bottle rocket? That's how fast I got out of there. A few weeks ago I would have thought that joyless; now it just made sense. I didn't need to be out til 3 am listening to the same conversation I heard at 11 pm. Yeah, I missed the afterparty -- but all my friends missed brunch this morning, and a lovely hike this afternoon.

You'll find joy again. But you gotta be open to it being a different model, I think.