Old 11-29-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by keithj View Post
Any number of groups could do this as well. The only thing required is that members of those groups stay sober and pass along their message.
This is true, but the secular recovery groups don't have "carrying the message" built in to their programs. The fact is that groups need members to survive, and if people simply sober up and leave, the groups will necessarily atrophy. The Rational Recovery network, which took about seven years to build, had a good run while it lasted, and no other non-12-Step group has yet to match its former size.

I doubt that any viable, prevalent alternative will materialize anytime soon, either. Personally, I am glad that RR shut down its meetings, though. They had degenerated into amateur therapy sessions, where the focus was on anything but quitting. With the advent of AVRT and the proliferation of the Internet, there was simply no need for them anymore. I call that progress.