Old 09-06-2004, 03:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
granolaprincess

Wow, great info. My therapist asked if bi-polar ran in my family and I could only find memories of depression. Now I'm wondering if my emotions, thoughts, etc are related to bi-polar.

* creative/artistic (photography, music, crafts, etc)
I've had many of the signs and thought that my creative outlet that recently surfaced at full-throttle was just a balancing act I was doing since I have a very analytical job. I'm extremely into photography, scrapbooking and card-making.

* Paranoia (mostly that people are talking behind my back and spreading rumors)
I experienced this for years and one time found out I was right, which didn't help! Although I do generally feel like people are talking about me when they walk out of a room that I'm in, or that people are constantly judging me. I know it's irrational and I don't know how to stop it. Other than to tell myself it's not about me.

* Insomnia at times and over-sleeping at others
Massive insomnia since my mom died, and was dealing with it before that due to some other life changes.

* anxiety
Gads, if I could go to a friend's house without feeling anxiety I don't think I'd know what to do. I barely call people I've known for years because of anxiety.

* appetite changes
I hate eating and used to love food. I'm surviving off of rice and cheese these days.

* weight changes
I dropped almost 20 lbs right during a stressful period, started to eat again, another very stressful period came on and I have now dropped the weight I've gained (about 10 lbs)-- in 2 weeks.

* Irritablility (easily angered or hurt feelings)
I was often told as a child that I was over sensitive. I generally have a long fuse but am incredibly sensitive and my feelings are hurt easily.

* Increased/Decreased activity:
I don't think I've had this one. If I have it's usually channeled through computer work or housecleaning, which my dog hates. She'd rather I take her for long walks. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed with ideas of what to do I get drained and just wind up on the sofa.

* racing thoughts
Gads, sometimes I think so fast I can't keep up with my own typing and I type 80wpm!

* Confusion/unclear thinking/forgetfullness
That has been an understatement from the last year and it's only recently that I've figured this one out. I've looked at work I've done and wondering where I was when I did THAT. I can't recall simple things like eating, drinking water, exercise, all the healthy things I did up until about a year ago. I can't decide where to stay on vacation without getting input, it's ridiculous.

* Unable to function - bills go unpaid even when funds are available, problems with getting out of bed. Feels like I'm drowning each day -- ditto, although since I've started the prozac I feel like there's some hope. I've recently realized that I haven't honestly smiled in about a year.

* headaches
Not too many headaches, those dissipated about 10 years ago.

* spending money with no regard for future
I used to do this and my friends thought I was a shopping addict. Now I'm wondering if it's bi-polar related. While I may want to spend money, once I get to the store I feel a sort of repulsion and don't feel well going into the store, even if it's for groceries. I ask myself if I need what I'm buying or if it's to fill a hole. I also try to make room by getting rid of something if I buy something. I really hate spending money.

* Driving problems
I seem to be on auto-pilot a lot and was told it was probably a sugar low.

*short attention span
Yes, definitely! I can handle sitcoms and that's about the extent of it. Anything longer and I can't handle it.

* I constantly say to people "I'm sorry" (Although, I'm not sure if this is a bi-polar or co-dependency issue?) -- ditto. I never used to say I'm sorry, now I say it all the time. I said "I'm sorry" to a co-worker last week, he called me on it (I thought I made the mistake during one of my non-focusing periods) and I almost cried right there. It's so hard not to say it though!!

* Math has never been a strong suit, but I did manage to get through most of calculus with a lot of help and generous instructors. I'm rather nervous about taking statistics this fall at the university.

* Suicide ideation -- I have a relative who committed suicide after going through similar life changes and for the first time I understood why. I didn't think it meant anything by just empathizing, but apparently this is important. Again, the thoughts have been much less since starting the prozac.

After this enlightening info I'm thinking of going back to my dr and finding out more about bi-polar and the meds. I wish my mom was still around so I could find out if any of the meds she was on was for bi-polar.