Old 11-23-2011, 06:02 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  
SunshineSally

Originally Posted by lostbutterfly View Post
I like this analogy in the book (I paraphrase)

When we are hungry in the supermarket and pass the strawberries in the fruit and veg aisle, we may get the thought "I'm hungry, pick that up and eat it". But straight away, I dismiss the voice that tells me to do that. I don't steal. It is immoral.

In the same way, it is immoral for me to drink, because when I drink, I behave immorally. I drink drive (to the extent I don't know what route I took home) and I take money from my children.
Hey, Butterfly, I like that part, too, and totally feel that way.
I grew up with both parents having serious drinking problems, and then for some stupid reason started to drink myself after a long marriage ended (kids grown up and gone by then). I was so miserable growing up. From a child's perspective I couldn't understand how my parents whom I loved could be that way, treat us the way they did, why they didn't understand how badly their drinking affected us.
I thought it was only my business when I started to drink in my 50's (alone), but then realized I wouldn't be available if an emergency came up and I was needed. I would never be there for people if I was needed if I was drinking--something completely against my values. I realized I have driven to get more (something I would never have dreamed I was capable of). If my blood pressure got out of control from drinking and I suffered a debilitating stroke, I'd be a tremendous burden to my children which could've been avoided. My work suffered to a certain degree and that affected people who depended on me. Emotionally, spiritually and physically it has affected me which in turn affects those around me. I was in denial, too, had that same obliviousness my parents had. It's the hallmark of addiction. I get it now. But that doesn't make it any less wrong. I shudder when I look back (and look all the way back and reflect), and am so grateful it's behind me now.