Thread: Didn't work.
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 02:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
colt1
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I just made myself a card-sized pros/cons list for drinking that I am going to keep in my wallet. I am going to read it and go over it often.

It says alcohol pros: The buzz, fitting in to social groups, less anxiety, possibly heart-healthy.

Alcohol cons: The hangover, being outcasted, more anxiety (anxiety over health effects, and mild acute hangover/withdraw), very damaging to liver/kidneys, cost lots of money, time wasting, interferes with fitness/workouts, empty calories, safety risks, sleep problems, possibly having a smoking relapse, moderate drinking is just a tease, alcohol drives me to do dishonest secret things, make bad decisions, guilt, lowered motivation, not pursuing hobbies, mood swings, bad for my blood pressure, increased worrying and it is literally a poison.

The interesting thing is that for every benefit, there is an equal or greater counter-benefit...for instance, the buzz comes with the hangover, the fitting in goes with being outcasted, and less anxiety goes with more anxiety. I am going to keep that card in my wallet and whenever I feel a craving, I am going to look at the card and ask myself if this is what I want to sign up for.