Old 11-20-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
AVRT, the Structuaral Model, and Moralism

Since we are on the topic, I consider the Structural Model of addiction that RR uses, while not strictly necessary to the implementation or usage of AVRT, quite useful. I am keenly aware that moralism is the torque that drives AVRT, but had RR not provided the structural model, I might have rejected it. What Jack Trimpey did with AVRT is to re-introduce the moral axis to addiction and recovery, as essentially found in good old fashioned fire and brimstone religion. The structural model masks this aspect somewhat so as not to scare off the natives, especially secularists, but AVRT is essentially implicit in the Bible, for example.

Virtually all addicted people—and I was no exception—recoil against any moral injunction against self-intoxication as if from a hot flame, since it is the nature of the addiction to cause this reaction. Indeed, one of the primary functions of the Addictive Voice is to conceal the fact that drinking/using, once a clear pattern of harm has been established as a result of it, is profoundly immoral conduct. Problem is, while the AV may try to say that there is nothing wrong with getting drunk or high, nothing at all, once addicted, if drinking/using causes problems, we know perfectly well that indeed there is something profoundly wrong with it, otherwise we wouldn't have felt so guilty every time we got loaded.