Old 11-15-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  
freethinking
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

I understand the general concept/reasoning behind letting "the beast" out a little and observing it, especially for someone like me who can more or less completely shield herself from alcohol. When in a previous program, nobody would dare order alcohol around me if we went out to dinner, we never served it at home when having people over, and I avoided parties where it was served. I have always said of my relapses "Wow, I didn't see it coming, I have no idea how this happened". That is in large part to the fact that I kept "the beast" under lock and key....so when it did finally rear its ugly head, I just went with it due to lack of practice of dealing with urges (partly, not entirely) and due to not even being aware that it was "the beast" or addiction talking. 'It' and 'I' were one. When I realized this a few months ago, it made so much sense to me to slowly expose myself to alcohol and "triggers". Exposing myself to triggers allowed me to observe "the beast" and practice the technique of separating myself from it....I think this has helped me, so that when real triggers occur that I cannot control (the upcoming holidays are a big one), I am a bit more adept at dealing with "the beast".

However, I think there is something to be said for acknowledging how much exposure can be healthy and what would be downright foolish. And, although I know some would disagree, I think this varies depending on each person and their past "relapse" patterns (since most of us are not newbies to drinking again after a purposeful period of sobriety). I have seen people go a bit overboard here with it, and "relapse" in the short amount of time I have been in this thread.