View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
GettingBy

I have been offline for a few days so I haven't followed all the information you've provided (so forgive me if I'm all out of whack!).

A month or so ago I had a post where I talked about how I had reported my AH (soon to be ex) to CPS because of something that he had done to my 3 yr old. Long story short - the outcome was that the case was dismissed as "unfounded." Now, that doesn't mean that the abuse didn't happen - it just means that CPS didn't have enough evidence to pursue charges or orders of protection.

Was my call a waste of time? Absolutely not! My unhealthy co-dependent mind takes the outcome as - "My AH, yet again, dodged the consequences of his addiction!" If I allow myself to sit in my stinkin' thinking - I stay stuck focusing on my AH, and what I can/can't do to control the situation/outcome - and force solutions/consequences. Yup, that's the codependent me.

The healthy recovery me (which takes work/effort!!!) has to keep the focus on ME... and what the situation TAUGHT ME! So, yup - if you read that thread - you'll see what I learned from the situation. I learned how to stand up for me/my kids, and that doing the right thing (which is immediately reporting illegal behavior!!) isn't nearly as scary as I thought! I learned that it's critical for me to not engage in a discussion with my AH about what ever that behavior is - I just need to set boundaries, communicate them, and then follow through when those boundaries are violated. And I learned that in order to have peace and serenity - I need to let go of the outcome and trust the process!!

When I focus on the problem - that's all I see. When I focus on me - I find solutions that lead to serenity.

Thanks for letting me share!
Shannon