Old 11-12-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  
DrivenHeart85
Always, Never & Forever

I'm on the fence about day counting. My time in that other program made day counting seem like "sobriety points", whoever had the most points was the one that should be listened to. Some people, no matter how long they've been sober, still just don't make any sense though. lol Plus, after I lost my whole 8 months of sobriety because I drank I felt really insulted...I had a whole 8 months of not touching the stuff! And they told me I was a newcomer again and had to raise my hand in meetings...and it wasn't long after that before I was out the door. What made even less sense was that they don't start you back at the first step after you drink again...I thought it was common sense that if you're doing something in steps that lead to sobriety and you're 3/4's of the way done and drink again that you probably missed something and should start over. Even board games aren't that forgiving. lol But that's a digression into my bad experiences.

Also when I was with that group I remember just sitting and waiting and hoping and planning for the one year mark to get there, as if I was going to be healed or graduate or something. It wasn't healthy at all and it killed my ability to live in the now...which is unhealthy spiritually.

I think it's good to know when you stopped and vaguely where you're at in the scheme of things but a whole world of emphasis should not be placed on it. If you're sitting there each day thinking, "today is day 78, tomorrow is 79, then 80, 81" it sounds kinda sick.

But this is my opinion, not that of Rational Recovery.