Old 11-09-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  
SunshineSally

Originally Posted by DrivenHeart85 View Post
It seems like when a thought like "I'm lonely and bored" comes up in AVRT, the solution is to attribute that to the AV, dissociate and walk away...but where is the split between dissociating and problem resolution? Or is there no split? Is there a problem with attributing negative feelings to your AV AND THEN addressing and trying to solve the issues brought up. Perhaps you really are lonely and bored...wouldn't it make the most sense to note that your AV is trying to take advantage of these feelings for its purposes but then also as an individual, to take action against said loneliness and boredom?

I'm thinking that's the most rational solution...but I guess I've never heard Trimpey say anything about it. He did say something about trusting you to be smart enough to solve your own problems...so really, a dual approach like above is what I'll do. AVRT just sometimes sounds to me like peoples' AV's are just pulling random issues from a hat. When really, the issue may be legitimate, but the AV is just trying to push you toward its desired solution rather letting you solve it with your own good old fashioned common sense.

Think I just answered my own question...but I'll post this anyway if anyone wants to add or object.
That's the way I see it. Deal with personal issues in whatever way you think you should. Recognize anything that tries to compel you to drink as the beast and turn away from it. The beast's solution does nothing to help the problems and will only make them worse. The beast doesn't care what it takes--a problem, a celebration, happiness, sadness, worry, loneliness or feeling like you never have minute's peace away from people--all it cares about is any excuse to get you to drink.