Old 11-05-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I am very intrigued by this...always have been. Thich Nhat Hahn (a Buddhist monk) speaks to this type of group dysfunction in many of his writings. He wrote about the Thai sea pirates who terrorized the seas, routinely raping children. He relates the story of a young girl of 12 who threw herself into the ocean and drown herself rather than be subjected to the continual raping of the pirates. He says when you first learn of this, you get angry at the pirate. You only have to take a gun and shoot the pirate. But, he further reflects, saying "In my meditation I saw that if I had been born in the village of the pirate and raised in the same conditions as he was, there is a great likelihood that I would become a pirate." He speaks to the mingling of beasts for sure there.

Then he says, "I saw that many babies born along the gulf os Siam, hundreds every day, and if we educators, social workers, politicians, and others do not do something about the situation, in 25 years a number of them will become sea pirates. That is certain. If you or I were born today in those fishing villages, we may become sea pirates in 25 years. If you take a gun, and shoot the pirate, you shoot all of us, because all of us are to some extent responsible for this nstae of affairs."

So this makes me think...if the mingling of the beasts can have such negative power, individually and collectively...then it follows that the mingling of the "I"s can have the same kind of positive power, no?