Thread: AW Update
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Welcome Back.

She claims to have been self medicating by drinking. I have no idea if thats true or if she can stay sober long term but I am giving her the chance to save our marriage.
I can tell you it sure was true for me. I 'self medicated' for over 24 years. And ........................ was pretty miserable my first 9 years of recovery, .............. UNTIL I was finally diagnosed ................... Bi Polar .............................. once my Psych Dr found the right combo of medication (different meds work differently on each person) I became a new person and have been great for over 20+ years now. I rarely 'cycle' and when I do I am aware of it and have been given 'tools' (yep just like I got 'tools' from AA) to literally stop the 'cycling.'

So .................. saying a prayer for your AW that this also works for her.

Many A's are chronically depressed, bipolar, or a combination of both. Alcoholism can and does 'mimic' other 'mental issues a lot. The Psych Dr's and scientists are just not ready to come out and say whether it was the 'mental issues' that ALWAYS cause the alcoholism or the alcoholism causes the mental issues. And most will not evaluate and/or diagnose until the toxins (alcohol and/or drugs) are out of the system.

I told you a bit of my story in the hopes that it will give you some 'Hope'.

So sending good thoughts and prayers.

Please don't be a stranger.

Love and hugs,