View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 11:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Panther

Originally Posted by LifeRecovery View Post
I just finished "Under the Influence" and was really curious what everyone else thought about it. There were some ideas in there that I had not considered before and I am struggling to extend my thought process into it completely. A lot resonated with me, but I am struggling with some parts.
I've read the book 3 times in the past 2 years. The first time I read it I was shocked in a way. It was hard for me to fully come to terms with what I had believed about alcoholism and the facts the doctor was presenting. I had always considered myself a well read and intelligent person, and to be confronted with my won ignorance in such a startling way was difficult.

But once I accepted what Dr. Millam put forward, it all started to make sense. It explained so many questions that I felt were never adequately explained under the psychological model of addiction. I had never fully understood why someone would drink themselves into such a degree of illness. I had never seen someone so sick as when I saw my ex go through withdrawals. Why was he seemingly doing this to himself? If it was self-destruction, surely there was a less painful way to self-destruct! Dr. Millam explained all that, and his answers made sense.

The first thing I did after reading the book the first time was to call my ex and apologize. I had often lectured him and made him feel bad about his addiction, never fully understanding his struggle. I also started telling him about what I was learning, and gave him a copy.

Panther