View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Chino

My daughter has done 2 stays at detox only (2 different places) and 1 detox+rehab (28 days). At the detox only facilities, where she went next was discussed 2 days before she left and with us present. At the detox+rehab facility, they spent the last week working out the details and I was kept in the loop.

I believe we were kept in the loop with all places, because she authorized that and I/we were 100% involved in the family sessions. The counselors, doctors, nurses, therapists all gave me their contact numbers and said to call any time I had questions or concerns. It was all very transparent.

At each place, being authorized to speak with personnel about the patient was not a prerequisite for participation in the family sessions.

Something I've noticed here on this forum are loved ones struggling with being hands off yet having questions that do involve them. I can't remember how many times I've read someone asking about housing, but they haven't asked the rehab that question. Even if they aren't authorized to speak with personnel about the patient, they seem confused about it being a question they should ask as it pertains to themselves. Maybe they don't know they can make statements to the counselors, like "home is NOT an option" and leave it at that.

There are pros and cons to being hands off and each person has to decide if that is in their best interest. I chose to remain hands on and it was 100% in my best interest. However, should my daughter require rehab again, I will be 100% hands off. We both agree there is no longer a need for my involvement in her recovery; we both have our own recovery programs