View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
outtolunch

I am another Chicagolander, on the Lake/Cook border and agree that it's unlikely he will be picked up based on outstanding warrants.

Heroin was my daughter's drug of choice, too. Eventually, everyone she knew into it had either died or went to prison. One 19 year old girl had just returned home after 5 months in rehab and died that same evening-OD. No one knows with any certainty if this was her intent or just a too common consequence of every day heroin roulette.

My sense of things at the time was that my daughter was homeless and knew she was going to have to hit the streets alone to sustain the addiction and this may have caused her to hit her own bottom. She used the tools she learned in multiple rehabs and pulled herself out of it.

It is impossible to predict someone's bottom and it's usually deeper than most of us could imagine. The thing is, it's his bottom and it's going to be his choices alone that determine the outcome. It seems to me that most who eventually embrace recovery 150% do so, because they know it's life or death.

The same can be said for us codependents. Detaching with love is a survival decision that usually happens once we finally accept that we did not cause it, we don't control it and cannot cure it. It, addicition, is out of our hands.

Nothing more humbling than accepting our own powerlessness
over someone else's choices.