Old 10-25-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

FWIW, I work with a woman who is the same age as me (pushing 50). She was married to an abusive man for many years during her prime child-bearing years. She divorced him and subsequently married a very sweet man who is many years her senior. Over the past few years, her husband retired and they started fostering children who have been removed from their biological families due to abuse and addiction. Just this past week, they adopted two very small children and are over the moon with joy about their new family.

I truly believe the ability to accept what life gives you, even when it's not exactly what you wanted, is the key to happiness. All I ever wanted was the dream of a happy family with kids, pets, a house and growing old together. Had I not been able to let go of that fantasy, I never would have found the life I have now, which is beautifully unconventional and infinitely more fulfilling than the struggle to have things my way ever was.

I second the suggestion for personal therapy. It saved me from a bleak, depressing existence and taught me how to appreciate life in ways I never thought possible.

L