View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Cyranoak

It's good you can do this...

...learning from the past is critical I think, just as long as I don't live there.

It'a a lot of effort for me to stay in the now-- if I stop paying attention and I'm not engaged in something specific I almost always trip to the future or the past.

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by wanttobehealthy View Post
Talked about this with my T yesterday and he said it is perfectly normal and healthy to experience these feelings. Said that if I wasn't, it would be an indicator that I was still in denial or was simply trying to avoid facing feelings.

I understand the futility of having one foot in the past and one in the present, but I think that reflecting on the past, how far one has come and recognizing that I will do whatever it takes to not ever be that person again is actually quite healthy and not at all living in two worlds.

My experience with al anon is that learning from the past and reflecting on it is a good thing. That works for me. I'm an emotional person, I feel things, I think things through and talk about them to "let go" of stuff... That's what works for me...