Old 10-20-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by flyawayfromhere View Post
Yeah, it's not complex...it's sneaky...but not complex. I liked the explanation of it as a quadriplegic in the book. It has no motor skills and can only rely on the power of persuasion on it's caretaker. It's essentially powerless unless it successfully talks the "I" into doing something. As long as the "I" knows it's the "it" speaking, all "it" can do is sit there and pout.
April,

I'm glad you are finally reading the book and getting the hang of AVRT. As I mentioned earlier, though, the only thing that really matters is the following:
What is your plan for your future use of alcohol? Are you going to drink again in this lifetime, or are you not?
You can post your answer below, or better yet, keep it a secret because it's nobody's business. If you can't hear your Beast, try shifting back and forth between the following answers and observe your thoughts and feelings.
  1. I will drink all the time, or at least whenever I really feel like it.
  2. I will never drink again, and I will never change my mind.

You should notice that your Beast is very comfortable with answer #1, but will grow very uncomfortable and squirm at answer #2. Likewise, if you've finally had enough, you should be very happy with answer #2, knowing that your problems are over, and very afraid of answer #1. Anything that contradicts answer #2 is your Addictive Voice, the Beast talking, and anything that affirms it is you.