Old 10-19-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
flyawayfromhere

The People You DO Have to Explain Your Abstinence To

If I were to just meet someone and they asked me why I don't drink, I'd just say I simply don't, end of story.

But my parents are coming down this weekend and I've been drinking with them for the past 8 months, so when I all of the sudden refuse alcohol again this weekend, there gonna give me one seriously confused look. lol After I quit last year, I never gave them any reason for my quitting, possibly subconsciously leaving myself room to drink in the future again. But anyway, I'm 110% sure of my need and desire to no longer touch the stuff for the rest of my life now and would like to explain some part of this to them, so they don't think I'm some "hoity, toity city girl that thinks she's better than rural folks and their boozing ways"...ok, that's a dramatization! lol But there's a big drinking culture where I'm from.

I suppose I could just say that I don't think alcohol is worth the trouble anymore. I could certainly lie and say I'm on a diet, but I just don't want to lie to them anymore. I know I'll figure out a good way, but I'm kind of curious if anyone else has run into this before.