View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
outtolunch

Arrogance of Ignorance

I watched a Diane Sawyer special last night about the Oglala Lakota Sioux Indian Reservation, population estimated at 40,000, in South Dakota. Just 130 years from being a self sufficient people, 80% of the population is now addicted to alcohol/drugs.

Alcohol is not sold on the reservation, which is the size of Ct. There are 4 liquer stores in the closest non reservation town and they sell 4 million cans of beer a year mostly to the Lakota.

One has to wonder how the hell-o this could happen in 130 years.

Although not the point of this documentary, it did touch on the diet within this reservation. The diet of this tribe is heavy on carbs and white flour based, the opposite of historical diets.

It made me wonder if as our collective diets have evolved, we have become more genetically susceptible to alcohol and addiction, no different than other serious health issues.

I am embarassed by my own ignorance of the conditions within some Native American Reservations. Sure do hope that one day there is gold in them hills and oil in their fields and Native Americans have the last laugh.