Old 10-14-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Cyranoak

You aren't being a wife, you are being a babysitter or a mom, and being massively controlling along with the deal.

This will make you crazy, and over time will likely affect your health.

You've received a lot of great responses here to consider, and I'd really like you to try an Alanon meeting or six to see if it can help you. In the meantime I'd like to ask you one question: is it your intention to be your husband's mommy and have a son, or is it your intention to be your husband's wife, and have a husband?

If it's the latter please consider Alanon for yourself, and let your husband find his own way without your interference (help). It may seem like it is going to take too long that way, but in my experience it is, in fact, the best and quickest way for things to improve (if they are going to improve).

Either way, if you go to Alanon your life will improve whether he quits drinking or not. I went through this for years with my alcoholic wife, and did most of what you described in your post. Then I found Alanon and it saved my life-- literally. And I truly believe it is only because of Alanon and AA for her (of her own volition) that I am back with my wife today (we divorced).

Take care, take what you like and leave the rest,

Cyranoak

P.s. Threats and ultimatums don't work. True boundaries do (but not in the sense of making them stop drinking), but remember they are for you, not him, and they don't exist at all unless you follow through on them.