View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
whenitrains

Frustrated with AS

My son recently moved out of state to live with his sister and get his life together. He got a DUI his second week there. He stopped drinking for about 10 days and attended AA meetings plus enrolled in a DUI class. He started drinking again and drove his sister crazy by getting drunk every day, staying up all night, and being loud. She called in sick twice from work because she had been awake all night. This past Friday, she told him that she had enough and he needed to find somewhere else to live. He doesn't have a job yet and doesn't really know many people so she told him that she was taking him to rehab. We found a great long-term rehab program that is just what he needs but he doesn't want to go because he doesn't want the life restrictions. So instead - he looked on Craigslist and found a room for rent with another 23 year old. He plans to move in, attend his DUI classes and just not drink. I told him that he needs more support and it would be too hard to do it alone. This is what he wants to do, though, dumb choice though it may be. As for me, I am headed to Al-Anon tonight for the first time so that I can learn the difference between being supportive and enabling, a line that I have unwittingly crossed many times.