Old 10-11-2011, 06:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Augie
Someone asked me recently what my approach was and the best I could come up with was "thoughtful recovery". I think that much of what I've embraced on behalf of recovery isn't specific to addiction at all. Stuff that's more generally applicable to approaching life differently and cultivating a new kind of relationship with myself, others, the world.
yes, yes, yes. Thanks for putting into words how I feel about "recovery". Once I put down the booze, decided that was never an option again, I was like "now what?". This journey for me the last few years hasn't been about the quitting, the quitting is done, it's about the living now. I search for things to enrich my life, make me think, help me connect with others, I challenge beliefs (my own and others)...and like you Augie, the things that have been the most transforming for me have not been specific to recovery from addiction per se. It has been like looking at the world with new eyes, but the rub is that the changes could not have come while drinking, but they have not come solely by quitting either.