View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
itisatruth

Originally Posted by CatsPajamas View Post
This reminds me of a frequent conversation I used to have with my sponsor. She would ask me what step I was currently working, and I would always answer "Step one and Step xx". It seems every day I am reminded of something or someone else over which I am truly 100% powerless.

It makes me cringe and smile at the same time.
That's kind of how I felt too Cats. Thank you for helping to make more sense of it.

When I went through those Step 1 questions again, it began way back when I felt I wasn't taking my steps or my recovery very seriously. I kind of had those thoughts like....yeah, I remember that...but I'm in a MUCH better place now...I'm good.

Then life happened. Again. I had had the feeling that I wasn't moving forward for a while, yet did nothing to change it. We all get busy, you know. Then, my brother (and family) had a major crisis. Then, RAH decided to almost relapse. And throw all that in with I had just made some big changes/commitments in my career. I was completely, totally overwhelmed. All those old behaviors, all those old ways I used to try started popping up.

So, back to the basics. Going back to this step reminded me of what I can control and what I can't. Thankfully.