View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 07:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
itisatruth

Originally Posted by wishin4change View Post
The more I think on Step 1... the more I realize I havent admitted total powerlessness. In my situation, even though Im working on my detachment, Im still in denial that I dont have to do what I have to do. That Im not accepting Im powerless because Im still in the game...
(First, thank you for such an in-depth & thoughtful working of your first step...those aren't always easy questions.)

What do you mean when you say 'I don't have to do what I have to do'? I'm thinking you mean you are in denial of what you know you need to do but don't want to do it...? I guess I'm asking because I'm not sure being in denial about what you need to do means you can't admit powerlessness. For me, and my understanding at least, powerlessness means I acknowledge that I can't control or change another person. It has nothing to do with what I do with that knowledge. It's the acceptance of this fact that allows me to move forward; that helps me move from a place of trying to change/cure/fix to a place of honesty.....adimitting that I can't. It's the first step for a reason. You have to admit your old way hasn't worked, before you're ready to find your new way.