Old 10-08-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by AprilMay1895 View Post
Can I ask whoever is using AVRT...was there a motivating factor that made you start using AVRT? Like, did something substantial happen in your life related to your alcohol abuse that initiated your desire to stop drinking immediately? As opposed to saying, you were active in your drinking, only slightly agitated with your drinking habits and thought you should maybe quit and one day you wandered into a book store, read the RR book and BAM, just stopped drinking out of nowhere for the next 5 years?

I'm wondering if there's something that you experienced or something that happened to you, that made you severely want to stop drinking and before you chose AVRT as your method. I guess in AA speak...(sometimes still the only language I know) I'd mean did you have a "spiritual experience" or "hit your bottom" before you decided to use AVRT as your recovery method?
April,

I would encourage you not to compare your experiences with those of others. With AVRT, you are entirely on your own, just you against your Beast. Addiction is drinking/using against your own better judgment, not anyone else's judgment. What is enough for someone else may not be enough for you, and vice versa. If I had to guess from your post here, this is what your AV is telling you...
"OK, April, maybe you're not that bad. Maybe you haven't hit rock bottom yet. After all, you still have a job. Maybe you still have a few more years left to drink before you have to give it up for good. Why don't you ask those fine folks on the AVRT thread for some stories of despair so that you can compare yourself to them. If they really screwed up their lives and ended up in the gutter before they made a Big Plan, that means that you can drink some more! "

How'd I do?