View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
BeProactive

WTBH - I so know the hurt and anger you are going through. Even though ours was a rental and not our own home - it was still the only home the kids really knew and grew up there and had lots of friends, super near/walkable distance to their school, etc, etc. I really tried my hardest to make stbxah to leave that home. I lost count of the number of times he left and walked back into the house. I finally realised that I had to move out, there was no other choice, even though I was paying the rent and the lease was in my name. I went through similar emotions as you - why can't he think about what's better for the kids . My younger son was so sad and upset the first day he came home from my sister's to the new house (they spent the summer at my sister's and I moved when they were away). The first night he sobbed so much asking to "go back home". I was so upset and cried along with him, cursed stbxah and my life and everything in between. But you know what, after about 3 months now, younger son is settled in this new apartment, he found new friends here and we are doing much better. I finally realised home is me and the kids and what we make of it, not the actual place.. As long as we are all peaceful, healthy and sane and it is a nurturing place, a sanctuary - thats all that matters..

So, wanted to chime in and offer my experience and to second LaTeeDa's first post.

I also empathise with you about the alienating the parent part.. It is tough balancing act - We have to make sure we are not alienating the alcoholic parent and at the same time we have to protect our kids from the unstable alcoholic parent. sucks big time..

hang in there, good luck and lots of strength your way..this is a tough time, keep doing the next right thing and things will fall in place..