Old 10-06-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
northwoods

It's really kind of strange the differences between people and what it takes for them to recognize and begin to deal with a problem like alcohol or drug abuse. Some people can keep themselves convinced that they don't have a problem, or that they feel better when using and they are not hurting themselves or maybe that they are just not ready to quit and when the problem gets to a certain point then they will deal with it.

I know for me personally I had to let it run its course until I couldn't deny it was a problem any longer. I looked at myself in the mirror and think "I look like sh*t!" I've become one of the people I used to look at and think "how could they do that to themselves?".

It really made me feel better to get to the point where I admitted to myself that I had a drinking problem, and I had to do something about it! I am only two days without alcohol but I already feel happier somehow. I don't know how to explain it... but it is like I had to get to the point in which my head was in the right place and I was ready to start dealing with it. Nobody on the planet could have convinced me to quit and no one can make me successfully continue to not drink either... I know it is all up to me and I am ready for the challenge. I know or have known so many people who let it destroy their lives. I know people right now that I wish I could convince to stop and be able to help somehow because I see they are in a bad way, they know it to in their heart but don't want to admit it to the world.
Bayliss is you want to quit there are a lot of people ready, willing and able to help you with this. I want to quit to I can be proud of myself again. I lost a lot of self respect allowing myself to succumb to becoming and alcoholic. Surround yourself with people who you admire and want to emulate and it will happen.