View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
StarCat
Today is a New Day

So much of our culture seems to revolve around alcohol, doesn't it?

I went to a dinner for work last night... They had an hour of (cash bar) cocktails and appetizers, then opened the doors to the dining room. (You could, of course, get refills whenever you wanted). Then, after dinner, they gave away their door prizes - each was a tote bag containing a pair of wine glasses and a bottle of wine.

I was surprised when they called my number - I don't drink, and never have, not even before XABF. So I sent the Sangria home with a friend.
The wine glasses are really pretty, though, so I am keeping them, because I like pretty things, and I deserve them. <3 The wine glasses don't know the difference between wine and fruit juice, anyway.

The best part is, aside from the friend I gave the wine to, nobody knows I didn't take the Sangria home, and nobody made notice that I was only drinking water. If you're used to not drinking, it's possible to have fun doing things not drinking, even if everyone else is. Me not drinking is my normal, and since I don't act like anything is unusual, nobody else acts like it's unusual, either.
Changing habits, of course, is hard. I may not be trying to figure out how to do things while not drinking, but they changed the location of my entry ramp onto the highway I take to go to work, and wouldn't you know I've gone the new way only twice in the month since they've done this. One of these days I will relearn that route, but right now it's completely foreign to my habitual brain, and I keep getting stuck in a traffic jam consisting of all the other people like me who are trying to relearn the same thing.