Old 10-06-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Mr. Average,

You seem to have made significant progress on your own already. Specifically, you have identified the Beast as a separate entity, and it is already talking back at you as a result. Since one of the prime functions of the Addictive Voice is to conceal the existence of the Beast, you are already halfway there. From another post of yours, I can see that you have realized that the Beast, which you refer to as "the little kid," is scared of you now as a result of being found out, which is very good.

Originally Posted by MrAverage View Post
I've never felt this crappy after only three days.. or ever for that matter. I have a guess though. I think that little kid in my head knows that this time I'm putting up an actual fight instead of the usual passive resistance. I think he's scared that I'm really serious this time, so he's throwing a tantrum.
If I had to guess, I would say that after some more trial and error, you eventually would have discerned the nuts and bolts of AVRT on your own. Most people start out by arguing back or debating with the AV, but eventually realize that the Beast has no interest whatsoever in what they have to say, except of course to twist things around into an excuse for drinking/using. At that point, they usually see the debating game for the trap that it is and step out of the ring.

Don't debate or argue with the AV, because the Beast cannot be reasoned with. It only knows one answer to all questions, and will play both sides of all arguments in order to fit the addictive mandate (drink/use!). By getting sucked into a debate with the AV, you only give the Beast an opportunity to outwit you, so don't play by its rules. The only words it understands are NEVER AGAIN.

Recognize the Beast for what it is: a ruthless, perverted survival drive that instead of pointing north, towards life, points south, toward the grave. Once born, it is a part of you, and it cannot be reasoned away. It is a deadly enemy that has access to all of your life experiences, so it has your number already. Your job is to figure out its number, and the Rational Recovery book will help you speed things up in this respect.

In the meantime, always remember that you are dealing with an enemy that will surely kill you if you don't kill it first. You must become just like it in order to defeat it. No matter what IT throws at you, recognize IT, expose IT, and show IT no mercy. Abstain.