View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
byrank

What is addiction really?

Like many here, I live with an alcoholic spouse. She is in VERY early recovery, and I am very new to al-anon. They say to learn as much as you can about addiction. My problem is that there seems to be different info out there. What is right? I read a book that claims there is ALWAYS an underlying cause, pysical or emotional, somewhere. I read other books that say it is hereditary, but no real definitive answer if it is learned behavior or genetic. Al-anon teaches it is no ones fault, but that seems to me to be a way to alleviate guilt. If you are an active alcoholic in front of your kids, and they become alcoholics...some say that addiction is the introduction to a substance for a period of time that leads to addiction. How long and how much is different in every instance. This seems to indicate this is more learned than genetic. Some say it IS a disease. Some say we call it a disease because it follows a disease cycle. It is progressive, gets worse, will be fatal, and is treatable. Some say it is still a choice. Once they get sober, get treatment, that if they continue to drink it is a choice. So much info, not enough brain power to sort it all! Thanks!